VMA 2016 was nothing short of spectacular, from Britneyâ€™s big comeback (and Beyonceâ€™s 15-minute mini-concert) to Blue Ivy stealing the red carpet! For the first time, this award show took over Madison Square Garden and made the space purely electric.
But, if youâ€™re like me, the pre-show is where itâ€™s at. Red-carpet glam filled the night — and here are my four picks for the hottest beauty and fashion trends from VMA 2016!
1. Just-Off-the-Beach Hair
Taking beachy waves to the next level, everyone from Kim K to Ashley Graham sported sultry, almost wet-looking locks.
According to Michael Silva, the hair stylist who created Kim Kardashianâ€™s look, we can create this style ourselves in our own homes.
- He started with a CC crÃ¨me to dampen the hair from mid-lengths to ends, and primed with a revive oil on the top half to lock in the moisture.
- Next, he sprayed a texturizing mist throughout the hair and worked through it with his hands. Michael then used a hair dryer with a diffuser attachment to completely dry the hair, making sure not to touch it too much.
- After the hair was dry, he used a styler to perfect the wavy texture and smooth areas where needed.
- Lastly, he finished with a silkening mist and touched the ends with a few more drops of revive oil. Voila!
Okay, so it sounds like it takes some timeâ€¦ but it just might be worth it, depending on the event!
2. LBDs, With a Little Something Extra
Black was definitely the color of the night. While we saw a few pops of red, color was rare prior to the show. But these LBDs always had a little something extra to make the dress interesting.
- Zara Larsson had a slight peplum and architectural sleeves
- Fifth Harmony had high slits, cutouts, and sheer paneling in their assortment of black dresses
- Britney had a gorgeous slanted cutout that helped accentuate her features.
No trend could be more wearable for the everyday woman than this one! When Iâ€™m looking for my next LBD (you can never have too many), Iâ€™ll be looking for interesting elements that make my new dress stand out from the rest.
3. Cut It Out
While weâ€™re on the topic of Britney, letâ€™s talk about the cutouts featured in the looks of Miss Spears, Shelley Hennig, and Nicki Minaj. While each celebrity rocked solid colors, the cutouts were interesting and almost architectural.
- Britney Spears had a gorgeous slash through her dress
- Shelley had cutouts along the sleeves and waistline
- Nicki had several cutouts, primarily along the top portion of the dress.
While cutouts have been huge for a while (see: 2016 Billboard Music Awards), this is a sign that theyâ€™re not going anywhere soon and you can safely invest in this trend for future seasons.
4. If You’ve Got It, Flaunt It!
From simple sheer cutouts to almost entirely sheer jumpsuits, this trend could be spotted all over the red carpet.
Ashley Graham sported an almost entirely sheer dress, as did Beyonce. Halsey and Hailey Baldwin (my favorite look of the evening) tamed down the trend a bit in jumpsuits with sheer elements. All of them look fierce, while leaving little to the imagination.
(Personally, I probably wonâ€™t be wearing many entirely sheer dresses around town. Though if youâ€™ve got it, flaunt it, girl!)
To transition this trend to everyday, you might want to consider a few modifications.
Iâ€™ll likely be looking for dresses and jumpsuits with sheer lace elements that highlight features Iâ€™d like to accentuate — such as sheer lace sleeves or a cutout around my midline to highlight my waist, similar to the effect of a belt.
Star-Studded Beauty and Fashion
Overall, the evening was star-studded and filled with OMFG-worthy performances that weâ€™ll be talking about for years to come.
And red-carpet fashion for VMA 2016 showed that classic, neutral colors aren’t only back, but here to stay. (But if you’re feeling bold, you might try rocking hair that looks like you just took a quick dip in the pool — with a sheer black number to go with it.)
Which of these VMA 2016 trends will you try?