These effective hairspray hacks keep your hair in check and make your life simpler in the process.
These holy-grail hairspray hacks go way beyond your hairstyle.
1. Stop a run in your hosiery.
No matter how careful you are, you’re bound to get a run in your tights — and that run can go from minor to ridiculous in 2.5 seconds.
Stop it in its tracks by spritzing it with hairspray.
2. Remove stubborn lint and pet fur.
If you’re like me, you’re covered in pet fur all the time. (I’ve accepted that this is my life and only wear black at my own risk.)
But I never realized that hairspray can help you create a makeshift lint roller in a pinch.
Just spritz hairspray on a washcloth or paper towel, and rub it over your clothing to remove pet fur in a flash. (Extra-hold hairspray is extra sticky, so it’s the best option.)
Hairspray can banish static cling from your clothing, as well. Just spray it on the inside of your clothes to keep static electricity at bay.
3. Lift stains from your clothing.
Accidentally got lipstick on your favorite blouse? Been there, done that.
Before you put it in the wash, spray it with an alcohol-based hairsprayÂ and then allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
Gently dab the stain with a cloth to help release the stain as much as possible, and then throw it in the wash to get it all-the-way clean.
This method works for any makeup stains as well as ink splotches.
4. Extend the life of your flowers.
If you love decorating your home with freshly picked flowers, you’ll definitely want to keep some hairspray close at hand.
Spray the bottom of the petals and leaves to help them remain upright, and then hang the flowers upside-down to allow them to dry.
Place them back in the vase, and watch them last… and last.
5. Thread a needle faster.
Threading a needle is no easy task, but hairspray makes the process so much simpler.
Just spray the end of a frayed thread with hairspray to keep the thread together as it goes through the eye.
6. Keep your shoelaces tied.
My husband has a pair of sneakers with shoelaces that are always coming undone — so much so that I was on high-alert before we were engaged, because he was constantly stopping and dropping to one knee. (Just a literal take on tying the knot, if you will.)
Put an end to that nonsense by spraying your shoelaces with hairspray to keep them tied.
7. Quick-dry your mani.
No one likes waiting around for their nails to dry, and hairspray can cut down on your dry time.
Just spray your freshly painted manicure with hairspray to lock in the polish faster.
… And 5 Hairspray Hacks Specifically for Your Hair
- Banish flyaways. You already use hairspray to set your ‘do — but did you know that you can smooth flyaways with just a can of hairspray and no comb? It’s true. Hairstylist Sarah Potempa recommends spraying your hair and then rolling the actual can of hairspray over your hairstyle to smooth your hair without running a comb through it.
- Create texture. If your hair is fine and limp like mine, use hairspray to give it a boost. Spray it with hairspray, and then twist the strands for extra body and definition.
- Give hair accessories better grip. If you regularly use bobby pins and clips in your hair, you’ll want to spray them with hairspray to help them stay in place.
- Add lift at the roots. Amplify volume at the roots and crown by gently teasing your hair and spraying it with hairspray.
- Tame your brows. Just use your fingers or a spoolie brush to rub hairspray over unruly eyebrows.