Anyone who keeps up with the Kardashians would probably agree that the famous family has some pretty¬†flawless makeup.
What’s their secret? Besides their glam squads and ridiculous net worth, the Kardashian ladies rely on banana powder¬†to set and perfect their makeup looks.
Should us mere mortals¬†do the same? We decided to investigate.
What the Heck Are Banana Powders, Anyway?
Banana powders have actually been around for a long time now, but they gained A-list status when Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist, Mario Dedivanovic, shared that he uses them to get Kim’s makeup just right.
Basically, banana powders are yellow-tinted finishing powders that have multiple uses.
They can instantly brighten the skin, neutralize blue and red discolorations, and set your makeup for long-lasting wear.
They’re also ideal for giving the skin a matte finish that photographs beautifully.
How Do They Work?
These formulas are primarily used in “baking” methods where powder is placed on certain areas to mattify the skin and prevent creasing.
Several beauty bloggers and professional makeup artists use these powders in the contouring process (particularly on the forehead, chin, and nose) as well as beneath the eyes.
More than anything, banana powder reduces shine while lightening and brightening targeted areas of the face.
You can strategically apply¬†these powders for contouring contrast,¬†¬†or you can wear¬†them all over your¬†face to set your makeup look.
Who Can Wear Them?
While many articles make it seem like¬†banana powders can be used on any skin tone, the beauty vloggers of the world insist this isn’t the case.
Most makeup artists agree that these powders work best on medium to dark complexions.
The yellow tint doesn’t have the same brightening effect on pale beauties, so women with lighter skin tones will want to opt for¬†a translucent setting powder instead.
Women with dark complexions, however, will definitely want to give these formulas a try.
Not only do they brighten the complexion and even out the skin, but they do so without looking ashy or glittery (which makes them perfect for adults).
Banana Powder Application Tips
Digging this Kardashian-approved look? Try it for yourself with these pro tips:
- Always start with moisturized skin, and complete your full makeup look before applying banana powder.
- Apply the banana powder using your choice of a sponge, a powder puff, or a brush. Dedivanovic recommends pouring the loose powder into your palm and then using a large powder puff to apply it as needed. (He uses this method on Kardashian as well as Jennifer Lopez and Katy Perry.)
- Generally speaking, you’ll want to dab the powder over any areas where you’ve applied concealer or¬†that need brightening (e.g., the T-zone and under the eyes). If you’re using it specifically for contouring purposes, apply it beneath the cheekbone line and along the corners of the mouth to intensify your features.
- If you’re on the paler side, use a translucent powder instead.
- Let the powder sit (or “bake”) for around 5 to¬†10 minutes.
- Using a face brush, lightly buff¬†off the excess powder.
And there you have it! These finishing powders help you look instantly airbrushed, and they brighten your complexion in a flash.