Looking for a few new skin and hair treatments that you can DIY from the comfort of your own home?
These apple cider vinegar beauty tips are just what you need.
Finally, a way to put that bottle of apple cider vinegar to good use.
1. It helps prevent acne.
Struggle with blemishes? I feel you. My skin loves to misbehave, but apple cider vinegar can help keep pimples at bay.
ACV actually balances your skin’s pH level, absorbs excess oil, and kills surface bacteria.
You can apply this apple cider vinegar beauty treatment as either a wash-off mask or a leave-on toner.
That being said, always, always, always test a small patch of skin first to prevent any irritation.
Although natural, ACV is an acid that can burn especially sensitive skin if misused.
- Mix together one part apple cider vinegar and four parts water.
- Moisten a cotton ball, and swipe the mixture over a clean, dry face to tighten skin.
- Don’t rinse (the scent will dissipate quickly).
Source: Coconuts & Kettlebells
2. It replaces your clarifying shampoo.
Apple cider vinegar is alsoÂ great for eliminating product buildup on your scalp for shinier, bouncier hair.
Use it as a hair rinse once a week to give your hair a glossy finish.
- Mix 1/2 cup of ACV with one cup of water.
- After shampooing, apply the solution throughout your hair and massage it into your scalp.
- Let it sit for three to five minutes.
- Rinse hair thoroughly.
- Follow with conditioner.
3. It treats dandruff.
Put an end to those bothersome flakes with an ACV dandruff treatment.
Apple cider vinegar not only restores your scalp’s pH levels, but it also has antifungal properties that help prevent scaly buildup.
- Mix three tablespoons ACV with three drops of tea tree oil.
- Massage into your scalp for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water.
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
4. It soothes irritated skin.
Apple cider vinegar also works as an anti-inflammatory skin treatment for everything from psoriasis and eczema to bug bites and razor burn.
- Add eight ounces of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak in it for 15 to 30 minutes.
Source: Wellness Mama
5. It prevents ingrown hairs.
It’s a sad fact of life: Ingrown hairs happen to good people.
Apple cider vinegar actually softens shaved skin, which in turn helps hairs beneath the skin’s surface grow as they should.
6. It strengthens nails.
Soft, brittle nails? Restore their strength with an apple cider vinegar soak. (Bonus: ACV is also rumored to brighten nails and reduce any yellow stains.)
ACV Nail Soak:
- Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and water in a small bowl to dilute the vinegar.
- Soak your nails for at least five minutes.
- Rinse off the vinegar.
- Repeat the treatment weekly for best results.
Source:Â Lauren Conrad
7. It whitens teeth.
Many people swear by apple cider vinegar’s teeth whitening benefits.
Just brush your teeth as usual and then gargle with ACV to kill bacteria and remove surface stains.
8. It disinfects makeup tools.
Another reason you may be breaking out? DirtyÂ makeup tools.
Give your brushes and sponges an anti-bacterial soak with ACV.
- Soak brushes and sponges for one minute in a 1:1 ratio of ACV to distilled water.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
Source: Reader’s Digest
9. It deodorizes.
Out of deodorant? Apple cider vinegar actually neutralizes odors without blocking your sweat glands like traditionalÂ antiperspirants.
Just rub some on your underarms and let them dry.
(And don’t worry. The scent fades in no time.)